Are you protected during placebo week before switching birth control pill brands?

Yes if. You are protected if you have been taking your birth control pill every day as directed and if you start the next pack at the appropriate time.
It depends on pill. Some oral contraceptive pills have a diminishing amount of hormone in the "placebo" pills. Make sure that is not the case, by continuing your present pill including "placebos" until you are ready to switch to the next brand at the appropriate end of the old pack to be safe from unintended pregnancy.