I'm FTM transgender. I want to have metoidioplasty in the future, but I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type 3. Could I still have the metoidioplasty?

Dr. Ivy Fisher

In brief: EDS/Metoidioplasty

Hi. If you undergo transgender surgery, you have the same risk as everyone for the surgery - plus muscle recovery with EDS will be important post=operatively.
You might have some systemic symptoms that might last longer than most but may do just fine. Rest and give yourself ample time recovery after the surgery and good luck! Welcome to health tap, Dr. Ivy Fisher

In brief: EDS/Metoidioplasty

Dr. Ivy Fisher
Dr. Ivy Fisher

In brief: FTM transgender

Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type 3 is the most benign form of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.
Questions about metoidioplasty (female to male sex reassignment surgery) is best answered by a physician/surgeon who specializes in transgender care. Here is the URL for the Florida Transgender Resource Guide https://issuu.com/equalityflorida/docs/transguide_083115 .

In brief: FTM transgender

Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Dr. Jonathan Jassey