86yr old decling health is turning septic. Family devides not to treat. 86yr old has advanced directives and is a dnr. Has chills how long to live?

Dr. Paul Williams

In brief: "how long??"

Generally untreated sepsis is fairly quick- At some point the body's ability to fight the infection - fever - is overwhelmed and various organ systems start to fail - usually the kidneys and pulmonary system. This can take hours to days.
For patient comfort I would strongly suggest contacting a hospice agency. They can provide comfort measures and allow him to pass comfortably and peacefully

In brief: "how long??"

Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine