I have a family history of skin cancer. Is it safe for me to get ozone acne therapy when I get facials? I had it done recently and it worked wonders. However, I read afterwards that ozone is a toxic substance...?

Dr. Ralf Lukner

In brief: It seems to be safe.

As far as I know, no one has tested ozone for possible cancer-causing effects in acne treatment.
Ozone has been studied for possible cancer-causing effects in mice who were subjected to ozone in the air that they breathed, and the mice in these experiments did not have more cancers in their lungs (ozone seems safe). Breathing in ozone can cause damage to your DNA if the levels are high enough.

In brief: It seems to be safe.