What do I do for lower back pain on my right side that goes all the way down my leg to my ankle? It happens often, especially when I run.

Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Further work up
You may have a "pinched nerve" in the lumbar spine.
When you run (high impact activity) the nerve can get irritated. You may need further work up, physical exam /mri of your lumbar spine. Treatment depends on the cause but generally anti inflammatory medication, physical therapy, possibly epidural steroid injections. In the interim chose a non impact aerobic exercise program ie swim/bike.

In brief: Further work up
Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
In brief: Sciatica
Let your doctor confirm the possible diagnosis of sciatica, investigate for cause and then will be able to treat.

In brief: Sciatica
Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi
Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi