Stopped hormone replacement therapy and now have symptoms including insomnia. Dr prescribed ativan (lorazepam) for sleep. Which is safer, ativan (lorazepam) or hrt?

Hrt. The best treatment for insomnia is to find its cause, often hormonal imbalances and deficiencies may play a significant role and hrt may contribute to eliminating or improving the sleep disorder. Ativan (lorazepam) simply relieves anxiety, which is not dealing with the root of the insomnia. It may be associated with dependence and side effects, such as hangover, memory loss, etc.
Depends. It depends on many factors: how long you have been in menopause, your personal and family history of breast cancer, cardiovascular disease...It also depends on the severity of symptoms. Only you and your doctor who knows your history can answer this best.