Is eating the Greek food Saganaki (fried Kasseri Cheese) safe to eat during pregnancy? I have read it's unpasteurized.

Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Mixed signals, here

As I imagine you have discovered, this question is a conundrum.General pregnancy advice is to avoid soft, unpasteurized cheeses in pregnancy.
While Kasseri is unpasteurized, it is hard and there are many anecdotal reports about eating it safely in pregnancy. The CDC does not include kasseri in its list of cheese to avoid when pregnant:queso fresco/blanco/panela; brie; Camembert; blue-veined; feta

In brief: Mixed signals, here

Dr. Julie Abbott
Dr. Julie Abbott
Dr. Jane Van Dis