What causes a drooping eyelid?

Usually aging. There are many causes of a drooping eyelid. The most common cause is aging, which can result in the eyelid muscle becoming loose and detached from the eyelid. Other causes include nerve problems, such as a 3rd nerve palsy, horner's syndrome, or myasthenia gravis (these may require urgent evaluation). Children born with drooping eyelids may have weak eyelid muscles. Most causes can be treated.
Many causes. A lot of things can cause a droopy eye lid. One of the most common causes is age. If it is occurring all of a sudden it may be something of concern and you should see your ophthalmologist for further evaluation.
Droopy eyelid. There are several causes of a droopy eyelid. Your best bet would be to have your eyes evaluated by a board certified facial plastic surgeon.
Levator. Most common reason is a dehiscence of the levator muscle that occurs with aging. It can be more serious. A horners syndrome or a 3rd nerve palsy. Myesthenia gravis is a possibility. Orbital tumors in the superior orbit as well. Have a droopy eyelid checked with your doc.