How do I know if my baby might be at risk of sid?

Dr. Gregg Alexander
In brief: All babies are
We don't know exactly what causes sids (sudden infant death syndrome), so we can't know for sure which babies may be safe from it.
(if any.) we do know some things increase the risk of sids, like smoke exposure, sleeping on tummies or sides, too soft bedding, use of pillows, maternal smoking while pregnant, overheating, etc.

In brief: All babies are
Dr. Gregg Alexander
Dr. Gregg Alexander
Dr. Scott Katz
In brief: No one knows.
However, the risk of sids (sudden infant death syndrome) is greatest in the first 6 months of life, and is significantly increased by putting your baby to sleep on her stomach or side.
Infants should always be put to sleep on their stomachs. Another factor that increases sids risk is having a smoker in the house. Factors that decrease risk include pacifier use and background noise such as a fan.

In brief: No one knows.
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz