The right side of my neck, near the esophagus, is sore. It is not a sore throat like the kind you get when you have a cold. Rather it feels almost like I was punched in the neck.It is uncomfortable to swallow or yawn. What could this be?

Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Gland? See a doctor.

Use HealthTap Prime or talk to your regular physician to get a diagnosis.
A doctor will need to examine your neck in order to get to the bottom of this. It could be minor, but it could be a viral infection (with swollen glands), it could be irritation of the throat (laryngopharyngitis) from stuck food / fish bones, acid reflux, a thyroid problem, or any number of things. Get help soon, & good luck

In brief: Gland? See a doctor.

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine