I was driving today and my left eye crossed on its own and I couldn't make it stop for a minute or so. Not the first time. What causes this?

Dr. Matt Wachsman
In brief: Tricky
The first question is whether this occurred because the direction you moved the eye or if the eye moved on its own.
You imply the latter. This would be a temporary muscle or nerve effect, like muscle spasm/fatigue. Surprisingly less common than the nerve being weak and always sagging when looking in one directcion.

In brief: Tricky
Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
In brief: Need eval
If you are having uncontrolled eye movements, you need a full neurologic examination by a neurologist.
Many possibilities require full history and examination to figure out what is going on. It could be entirely benign, but there are other possible causes that warrant an evaluation.

In brief: Need eval
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge