Which type of car seat is the most safe, a harness or a shield?

Dr. Scott Katz
In brief: 5 Point Harness
A 5 point harness system is always considered safest.
Make sure your child's weight and height meet the specifications of your car seat.

In brief: 5 Point Harness
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Roy Benaroch
In brief: Harness
A harness-type car seat is easier to fit correctly and is considered safer than a t-shield style.

In brief: Harness
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Roy Benaroch
In brief: 5 Point Harness
I believe most shield systems were being fazed out in the late 90's due to a high frequency of facial injuries.
The industry today has rear facing 5 point harness systems up to 40 lb, forward facing 5 point harness systems for children up to 65-85 lb. With belt positioning boosters going up to 100+. A specialty supplier provides harnesses for special needs or heavier riders.

In brief: 5 Point Harness
Dr. Crystal Twynham