I am concerned I was exposed to lead during my pregnancy. Will my baby be affected? What are the possible side effects?

In brief: Depends on exposure

Lead has the capacity to harm us when it accumulates body.
It can slow brain development & at toxic levels can cause seizures. Simple blood tests can tell the level of your exposure and if your infant was exposed as well. Treatment is available if needed. Since lead was removed from most products decades ago, we seldom see problem levels in kids. Its likely your exposure will not be a problem.

In brief: Depends on exposure

Dr. Nanette Nuessle

In brief: Possibly

Lead is known to cause problems for children, infants and unborn babies.
The risks include miscarriage, preterm birth, developmental problems and hearing loss. However, it is not known what dose causes a specific effect. You will want to discuss this with your obstetrician, who may recommend a visit to a perinatologist.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Jane Van Dis