I had open inguinal hernia surgery a few days ago, I noticed a lot of swelling at and around the incision, is this normal, what causes this, how long should it last and what could I do to reduce it.

Probably normal. If the repair was done with an open technique, there is usually swelling and a firmness felt under the length of the incision. Ice and antiinflammatory medication can help. If it is really large, call your surgeon to check it out - could be bleeding under the skin we call a hematoma. Hope you recover quickly!
Post Surgery issues. It is most likely just normal. But, if there is hot red and/or pustular drainage..Or if the pain is intolerable these should be reported to your surgeon. Surgeons want to be on top of any post op complications that may arise. I would bet you were sent home with some instructions that would list the common problems and what to do about them.
Not normal but... Depending on the size of the hernia, how much disection was done, etc. There can b a lot of swelling after hernia surgery. This can be due 2 blood, inflamtory fluids or just swelling of the tissues that were handled . For the first days ice may help to limit the swelling. After 3 or 4 days switching to heat may help to mobilize the fluids from the wound. Can take 4 -6 weeks 2 fully resolve.