I take fish oil and a multi vitamin each day, is fish oil good for you? I have heard good and bad things about it.

Dr. Sandra Pinkham
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Listen to your body

If fish oil makes your period too heavy don't take during your period or shortlly before.
If you have dry skin it may help relieve it. Be sure to take vit e as well. If you have a tendency to bi-polar disorder its ability to inhibit interleukin-6 may be helpful to you. If you burp it up and it doesn't make you feel good it may be rancid and not good for you.

In brief: Listen to your body

Dr. William Jenkins
Anesthesiology

In brief: Non-prescription

fish oils and vitamins are dietary supplements and not approved by the FDA before entering market, no government agency checks what is actually in them. Prescription Lovaza, Vascepa, and Epanova are approved by the FDA, some contain more beneficial EPA than others.

In brief: Non-prescription

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

Like everything else, appropriate use is good.
It contains a natural anti inflammatory component called epa but it is complex and normally should be taken under the control of a nutritionist with another component called gla. Both are supplementary to diet in the treatment of very common, dietary induced diseases.

Dr. Su Fairchild
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Depends

With all the heavy metal and radioactive pollution in the ocean, get a clean source of fish oil.
Check my blog drfairchild.Blogspot.Com for info on omegas. Some multivitamins such as centrum can be contaminated with tin and nickel.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine