My child is year and half old. She has problems falling asleep at nights, though she sleeps well at noon for three hours. How can I help her?

Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: Routine

Starting a sleep routine in the evening, keeping lights low, doing calming evening activities like bath, reading, night time cup of milk, brush teeth, bed, or something like that.
Make sure she's awake when you put her down, and that you're not taking her out of the crib for anything. You may need to trim the afternoon nap a bit. With consistency and routine, she will get used to bedtime.

In brief: Routine

Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster
Justin Fuehrer
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Sleep hygiene

You could try good sleep hygiene techniques like avoiding light from tvs, computer, etc close to bed time.
I always want to know what is your child's bedtime routine and parents response to their child's difficulties falling asleep. True that overly long naps can make your child less tired at bedtime, but inconsistent bedtime routines also commonly contribute.

In brief: Sleep hygiene

Justin Fuehrer
Justin Fuehrer
Answer assisted by Justin Fuehrer, Medical Student
Dr. Jonathan Jassey