I woke up this past Sat a.m. with what I thought was a pulled muscle on the left side of my mid back;now has radiated to upper abdomen.

Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: This sounds like-

-it follows a thoracic nerve root.
If extremely painful & you have not had a shingles's vaccination, this could be the cause. Intercostal nerves are higher in the back, & follow the ribs, so it would be in a lower location in the abdomen. If a painful rash follows, its shingles.

In brief: This sounds like-

-it follows a thoracic nerve root.
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Patrick Connerly

In brief: Serious

Numerous abdominal problems can radiate to upper back or shoulder. Most notable for the left side would be kidney infection and ovary(twisted or infected) and ectopic pregnancy.
You need to see a doctor soon--like tonight

In brief: Serious

Dr. Patrick Connerly
Dr. Patrick Connerly
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Other symptoms?

A pulled muscle is very possible? Nerve issues as above? How long does it last ? Have you tried any meds? Nausea? Fevers? Diarrhea? Would you say it is more related to food or activity? GI issues suggest gallbladder or other organ.
Activity suggests musculoskeletal. You should see your md for a complete history and physical exam. They may want to do studies as well. Fell better

In brief: Other symptoms?

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Steven Seres