I am terrified of cutting my baby's fingernails, I feel like I might cut her by accident.What should I do?

In brief: Sandpaper works
Early in my practice a grandmother showed me how to file these using a small square of sandpaper.I have advised and used the technique since.
I like wet/dry 120-180 grit in a 2X3 inch size.Roll this along the outer edge and it takes down the snags/nail without taking off skin.There is also no risk of a cut. Good luck.

In brief: Sandpaper works
Dr. Katharine Cox
What an awesome grandmother!
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
In brief: File them
Parents often do accidentally cut their babies' skin while cutting the nails.
These are minor cuts and will heal quickly. Cutting the nails when baby is asleep or just after a bath is recommended. Make sure you use special baby-sized clippers. If you are still fearful, use a nail file to file the nails down. But they grow quickly, so be sure to file them frequently.

In brief: File them
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: Get instruction
Have pediatric nurse teach you.

In brief: Get instruction
Have pediatric nurse teach you.
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Scott Katz
In brief: Don't be scared
It is normal to fear hurting your baby, but her fingernails will grow like weeds the first several months.
One option is to use a file instead. It is not recommended to bite or tear the nails. To use the clipper, simply take a firm hold of her hand, so she can't wiggle, and gently press the clipper on the nail without cutting at first. Once you are comfortable with the technique, clip away.

In brief: Don't be scared
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz