Hey doctor I had oral sex with a guy yesterday. I have a canker sore below my lower lip and I sucked him. Can I get infected with HIV? Should I get te

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Very low risk

HIV is almost never transmitted by oral sex.
One estimate is one transmission for every 10,000 penis-to-mouth exposures, i.e. giving oral to infected men once daily for 27 years before transmission might be likely. Oral sores might increase the risk, but the chance is already so low that it makes little difference. You should have asked him about HIV status before sex! Yes, you should be tested.

In brief: Very low risk

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Also, "canker sore below my lower lip" suggest's the sore was on the outside of your mouth, right? If so, it wasn't a canker sore. The most common cause of such problems is oral herpes. So the biggest risk for this event was giving him genital herpes. You should get it touch with him and let him know.