I'm 25 weeks pregnant and my OB prescribed Vistaril for anxiety and insomnia. Is this widely considered safe during pregnancy?

Dr. Edward Kuhnley
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Best discuss concern

with your OB who must weigh benefits and risks for you and your baby of any medication prescribed during pregnancy.
Antihistamines are contraindicated in the first trimester and risk beyond that is uncertain. If necessary Vistaril is considered a good choice and it is recommended to drink ample water to overcome possible side effects. Alert OB to increased movement. Best regards for good health.

In brief: Best discuss concern

Dr. Edward Kuhnley
Dr. Edward Kuhnley
Dr. Eric Weisman