Can throat cancer be detected during a upper endoscopy for gerd? Does gerd increase the risk of throats cancer? I'm 24 and I feel a hard lump in neck

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Not detected

GERD requires lower endoscopy and on rare occasion reaches vocal cord area causing laryngopharyngitis , that part of the pharynx behind the voice box.
Throat cancer involves nasopharynx. oropharynx and to some degree hypopharynx, all areas essentially missed on lower endoscopy. An oral, digital exam can detect pharyngeal Ca mostly by palpation and then bx. If lump in neck have it checked.

In brief: Not detected

Dr. Peter Kurzweil