I have sleep apnea and a hypoxia index of 17. Is 17 bad or good? I am going on cpap and oxygen. Looking for an answer. Thanks!

Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry

In brief: Moderately bad

Apnea-hypopnea index of 17 means you obstruct (stop breathing) or partially obstruct an average of 17 times per hour (normal is <5).
More important, however, is the degree of oxygen deprivation caused by the disruption. I have many patients who have ahi > 90. If your blood o2 levels are low, your regimen is great. If not low, you can use dental device, likely with good success.

In brief: Moderately bad

In brief: Moderate

Moderate sleep apna has an ahi of between 15 to 30.
People with mod sleep apnea have a higher risk of health problems than mild but a lower risk than severe . People treated will lower their risk of health problems and death to a normal person, which is less than 5. I hope that helps!

In brief: Moderate