How can I tell if my child is teething?

In brief: Cranky, drooling
I have found that children often get irritable about two weeks before the teeth actually break thorough the skin.
I believe this is the most bothersome time, rather than the teeth actually cutting through the skin. Drooling, and increased irritability are signs.

In brief: Cranky, drooling
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Gilberto Nunez
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Observation
Just llok at the gum area, you should be able to see slightly swelling of the gums.

In brief: Observation
Dr. Gilberto Nunez
Dr. Gilberto Nunez
Dr. Gregg Alexander
In brief: Drool, gnawing
Increased drooling, gnawing on hands (and everything they can!) and irritability off and on are all fairly consistently associated with teething.
Night wakening may occur with it, too. Slight temperatures to less than 101 may be noted, but anything higher should trigger a call to the pediatrician's office.

In brief: Drool, gnawing
Dr. Gregg Alexander
Dr. Gregg Alexander
Dr. Laura Webb
In brief: Drooling, fussiness
Teething is a natural process all children go through; it may cause a variety of symptoms including increased drooling, mild fussiness, the baby bringing hands to his/her mouth and low grade fevers.
However, teething does not cause high fever or significant irritability. Gentle massage to the gums or a cold washcloth may help relieve your baby's pain.

In brief: Drooling, fussiness
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Jonathan Jassey