How can I tell if my child is teething?

Cranky, drooling. I have found that children often get irritable about two weeks before the teeth actually break thorough the skin. I believe this is the most bothersome time, rather than the teeth actually cutting through the skin. Drooling, and increased irritability are signs.
Observation. Just llok at the gum area, you should be able to see slightly swelling of the gums.
Drool, gnawing. Increased drooling, gnawing on hands (and everything they can!) and irritability off and on are all fairly consistently associated with teething. Night wakening may occur with it, too. Slight temperatures to less than 101 may be noted, but anything higher should trigger a call to the pediatrician's office.
Drooling, fussiness. Teething is a natural process all children go through; it may cause a variety of symptoms including increased drooling, mild fussiness, the baby bringing hands to his/her mouth and low grade fevers. However, teething does not cause high fever or significant irritability. Gentle massage to the gums or a cold washcloth may help relieve your baby's pain.