I'm almost 32 weeks. Saw Dr today. My BP was 141/92. Got steroid shot for baby's lung. Being monitored now for preeclampsia and borderline low amniotic fluid. Dr said I'll likely deliver between 36-38 weeks. How long will baby need to stay in nicu?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Mgt

The baby will be assessed clinically and then a decision regarding when the baby can go home will be made.
It is really difficult to predict, I hope that you feel well.

In brief: Mgt

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: It depends

It will depend on whether the baby has respiratory distress or not.
If the steroid shot takes effect and you are delivered after 34 weeks the odds of a shorter stay in NICU are considerably better.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Brian Nguyen

In brief: Unknown

unfortunately it's hard to tell exactly how well developed a baby's lungs will be between 36 to 38 weeks.
We know that at 37 weeks Kama most babies lungs are mature but even then we have cases where baby need to stay in the NICU for a longer. it's safe to say though that you should try to not worry about this since it is out of your control and may be increasing your blood pressure

In brief: Unknown

Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine