If I have an incompetent cervix i dilated at 14 weeks do I still have to have a d&e or can I have d&c?

Dr. Jeff Lin
Gynecology - Oncology

In brief: Technicality only

D&C and D&E are not that different; yes, technique and risks are slightly different, but it's kinda moot point.
The specific difference is using a curette (D&C) and there is a limit to the size of products of conception (POC) that can be evacuated (think vacuum hose and bowling ball). The cervix can only be dilated so much mechanically. D&E uses instruments to fragment the POC thus has no limit.

In brief: Technicality only

Dr. Jeff Lin
Dr. Jeff Lin
Dr. Patrick Connerly

In brief: D&e

The d&e is usually more effective at removing preegnancy tissue than the d&c.

In brief: D&e

Dr. Patrick Connerly
Dr. Patrick Connerly
Dr. Adam Levy