My 2 year old drank after me. I have shingles. We also have a 32 weeker in NICU. Worried toddler will get chicken pox and we will spread it to preemie?

In brief: Contact care

Only the weeping debris from your shingles would be able to spread the virus.
If you can keep the area covered & practice good contact care (wash hands a lot) you are unlikely to spread it to anyone. Let the NICU people know since their policy may keep you away until certain parameters are met.

In brief: Contact care

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Check w/ baby's doc

Varicella zoster virus, the chickenpox/shingles virus, is not likely in your saliva in amounts easily transmitted, and if your toddler has had appropriate vaccines, she has been immunized and is immune to VZV.
Any risk of VZV infection in the premie is from contact with you. not your toddler. Tell the NICU staff and follow their advice. Best wishes for your growing family!

In brief: Check w/ baby's doc

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham