I heard conflicting answers. To get genital herpes you have to come into contact with infected area? Say the infected area is on inner thigh. If I have intercourse w her and never touch the inner thigh. (Covered by a towel) could I still catch it?

Dr.

In brief: Possible to get HSV

Visible HSV lesions are infectious but just covering the lesion may not be sufficient to prevent HSV transmission if there is also infectious virus on nearby skin.
Avoiding close skin contact when there's a definite HSV outbreak, using condoms at other times & the person taking antiviral meds all significantly reduce HSV transmission.

In brief: Possible to get HSV

Dr.
Dr. Mohammad Ashori

In brief: Yes you can.

The body can shed the virus in other areas that don't have the active infection.
Even without an outbreak you can get the infection. However, that said, it's quite rare to get it while coming into contact with intact and non-infected skin unless you have a break in your skin or macerated skin.

In brief: Yes you can.

Dr. Mohammad Ashori
Dr. Mohammad Ashori
Pathology

In brief: Yes,

A person with HSV can be shedding virus without any visible lesions.
The shedding may be in the vulvar area., even though you think that the infected site is on the inner thigh. Condom will help but may not provide sufficient protection.

In brief: Yes,