Woman has genital herpes outbreak 4 years ago on her mons pubis only. On meds. No outbreak for 2 years. What are chances of me getting it if I have sex with her but never come in contact with that area? Could she have other infected areas?

Dr. Cynthia Palabrica

In brief: HSV

Viral shedding occurs in 70% of asymptomatic patients( no lesions).

In brief: HSV

Dr. Cynthia Palabrica
Dr. Cynthia Palabrica

In brief: Unknown chance

If a person only has herpes lesions on the mons pubis, and nowhere else, there is a small but unknown (nobody can guess the chances) chance of catching herpes from other locations.
A woman can have herpes viruses intermittently in her vulval-vaginal area without having outbreaks... because life is full of uncertainties. It's safest for her to be on medication, and for him to use condoms.

In brief: Unknown chance

Condom will help but may not prevent transmission of infection.
Dr. Richard Zimon

In brief: Sorry I

should have noted that WITHOUT AN OUTBREAK SHE IS NOT INFECTIOUS!!!! Hope this helps Dr Z

In brief: Sorry I

Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Jane Van Dis