Hi, I developed a bad urine infection which I was given nitrofurantoin. Today the doctor changed me to penicillin due to my sample. Is this still uti?

In brief: See below

The diagnosis of a UTI is based on 1) symptoms (urgency, frequency, burning, and sometimes blood and fever); 2) an abnormal urinalysis which usually shows increased leukocytes and often some red cells and/or positive nitrite; and 3) confirmed by a urine culture which identifies the bacteria and which antibiotics the bacteria are both sensitive and resistant to which guides the choice of antibiotic

In brief: See below

In brief: Yes sensitive to PNC

The bacteria in the urine were resistant to nitrofurantoin but more sensative to Ampicillin so your MD changed

In brief: Yes sensitive to PNC

Dr. Adam Levy