I had a report saying that I have a minimal bilateral basal pleural effusion of uncertain clinical significance. What does it mean?

Dr. Richard Zimon

In brief: It means

you have "water on your lungs" , which has many possible reasons.
First of all your age is important, where you live and what your medical history is especially lung and heart problems. There are also infectious possibilities! See your PCP ASAP for complete person to person evaluation. Hope this helps! Good luck Dr Z

In brief: It means

Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr.

In brief: Pleural Effusion

It is collection of fluid in the in the pleura (lining around the lungs).
Multiple causes: infection, tumor, systemic disease, heart failure, ... etc. Depending on your age and your past medical history, investigations are carried out to find the cause of it. If no cause is found, it is usually followed up for progression.

In brief: Pleural Effusion

Dr.
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery