I have some general pain in what I believe is my kidney (on back, left side towards rib cage) When I lay in a certain way, it goes away. Is this norm?

Pathology

In brief: Likely muscular

The pain is likely to be musculo-skeletal and not due to kidney.
From what you described it does not seem to be of concern. Exercising may help tone and loosen the muscles. You may take a over the counter pain medication if needed. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex.

In brief: Likely muscular

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology