Is a blood clot in the leg rare from child birth? I gave birth naturally. Frightened of this happening to me

Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Not rare/preventable

Blood clotting occurs from long periods of inactivity unless the legs are exercised or wrapped with clot preventing stockings or devices which can prevent this malady during childbirth, C/section, or post-partum.

In brief: Not rare/preventable

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Brad Goldenberg
Only if there is a tendency to increased clotting before you were pregnant, or you were on medications to reduce clotting
Dr. Manel Silva

In brief: Not rare

First congratulations! Sorry that you're experiencing this.
The good news: blood clots are fairly easy to treat. In general, people have a 1 in 10,000 risk of getting a blood clot. During pregnancy, that risk goes up to 8-10 in 10,000 people mostly due to the hormones in pregnancy, and swelling in your legs. For perspective, some birth control have a 4-6 in 10,000 risk. Good luck, enjoy the baby

In brief: Not rare

Dr. Manel Silva
Dr. Manel Silva
Dr. Jonathan Jassey