My blood test show RBC count 3.53, WBC 9.2, HEMOGLOBIN WB 11.2, HEMATOCRIT WB 33.7, PLATELET COUNT 206. Am I iron deficient? I'm a 56 y/o woman.

Dr. Sewa Legha
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Yes it is possible b

You have mild anemia(Hb of 11.
2 Gm, normal being >12 Gms). To find the cause, you have to do additional tests like check your blood iron levels and also check for any excessive bleeding or blood loss from an internal organ. This will require a visit with a PCP. Also send us your MCV....this can give us a clue towards iron deficiency.

In brief: Yes it is possible b

You have mild anemia(Hb of 11.
Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Sewa Legha
Your MCV is on the high side. This is against the diagnosis of Iron deficiency(where MCV tends to drop into 70-80 range). High MCV could mean Vitamin B-12 deficiency. This can be checked with a blood test to measure the B-12 blood level. But your doctor would know how to investigate to find the cause of your Anemia.. good luck....
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham