Can prolonged use of Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) XR cause or contribute to adrenal failure?

Dr. John O'Malley
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: No Adrenal Failure

Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) or other stimulant medications do not cause adrenal failure (a serious life threatening disorder).
In the popular magazines they talk about "adrenal fatigue" which ahas a variety of symptoms. There is little support in the science literature of this "syndrome". If you have symptoms that you have not had before, talk with your doctor and see if a workup is necessary.

In brief: No Adrenal Failure

Dr. John O'Malley
Dr. John O'Malley
Dr. Adam Rosh
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Maybe

All medications have side effects, but to the best of my knowledge, long term use does not lead to adrenal insufficiency.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Adam Rosh
Dr. Adam Rosh