I have strep throat and white patches on tonsils. I finished the antibiotics and I still have white patches on tonsils and no pain. What is this?

Dr. Tal Dagan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Tonsil white patches

It really is important you see your ear nose and throat doctor. The patches on the tonsils may either be a continuation of the strep bacterial infection, a yeast infection that commonly grows during antibiotic treatment or trapped food debris within the crypts of the tonsillar surface that appear like patches but are just undigested food particles.

In brief: Tonsil white patches

Dr. Tal Dagan
Dr. Tal Dagan
Dr. Robert Knox
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: White Patches Tonsil

The white patches are either fungus or clumps of bacteria.
This could be "cryptic tonsillitis". Try gargling with warm salt water, 1 tsp / 16 ounces of water. If the patches come back, go see an ear, nose and throat doctor.

In brief: White Patches Tonsil

Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Cindy Juster