What does it man if you don't have a period over a year then start spoting?

Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: See your doctor
I'm assuming from your question you have already gone through menopause and now are bleeding again.
If this is the case, you should definitely visit your doctor to get checked out, since post-menopausal bleeding can be a sign of endometrial cancer.

In brief: See your doctor
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Pathology
In brief: Depends on age
Agree with dr. Orr's answer. In addition, it can often be seen in peri-menopausal years.
Unless you have not had periods for a year you are not necessarily menopausal. Are you on any birth control pills - they can often be associated with irregular spotting. Running this by your doctor is always a good idea.

In brief: Depends on age
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham