My cold sore has healed and no visible wound from virus. Am I able to kiss my girlfriend or receive or perform oral sex. I never had virus on genitals?

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: HSV is still there

The problem with herpes - in this case HSV-1 - is that it is still present, and may be infective to someone who doesn't yet have the virus.
In other words, you don't have to have the 'active volcano' of a herpes outbreak, as the virus can pass through what's called 'asymptomatic shedding'. The virus is capable of infecting through mucous membranes (lips, genitals, even the eye) or scratched skin.

In brief: HSV is still there

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Pathology

In brief: See below

With or without any sores, a person who was infected with HSV can pass the infection to his/her partner. If your girlfriend already has HSV, you will not transmit it to her. However, there are two major strains of HSV, 1 and 2 and having one does not protect against the other. It would be prudent to discuss the matte with your doctor who knows more about your health.
Consult this site for info: http://www.webmd.com/genital-herpes/pain-management-herpes#1

In brief: See below

Dr. Adam Levy