Why do hiccups occur?

Benign variation. Hiccups have been explained as a spontaneous nerve discharge triggering the breathing muscle to tighten in a cycle like a heart beat. Some have suggested the stomach of the newborn rubs the diaphram and triggers the pattern, and that with age the stomach moves away lessening the problem. The most active cases have them before birth. I know of no treatment with any value.
It's Normal. Most babies get hiccups frequently in the first 2-3 months, especially after eating. They usually bother the parents much more than the child, and no treatment is required. However, if you feel your baby is uncomfortable, and you can get him to latch on to the breast or bottle, a few more swallows of milk usually helps them resolve.