I have chronic hepatitis b and have been told this has caused cirrosis of my liver. Will I need a liver transplant in the future. ?

Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Maybe

It depends upon your age, overall health and the degree of liver damage.
The reason for your hepatitis b is also important. If it was from drug usage, the transplant unit will want to make sure that you are "clean" before considering transplantation. With medical management, many people with hepatitis b and early cirrhosis (child class a) do pretty well and may not need a transplant.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr

In brief: Maybe

Many but not all patients with cirrhosis will go on to require liver transplantation.
The first line treatment , however, is medical therapy. By following the treatment plan laid out by your gastroenterologist or hepatologist, you may be able to live with your liver disease and avoid the need for liver transplantation.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Barry Browne
Dr. Barry Browne
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery