Just got home from knee reconstruction sgy my femoral nerve cath disconnected what should I do?

Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology
In brief: Call your doctor
Dr g's answer is correct but u should have received a paper before you left to tell you what to do and give u a number to call.
This can be a serous situation if the catherter is exposed to dirt u an infection gets into the groin. Deal with it immediately do not wait. Call your doctor now.

In brief: Call your doctor
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Vasu Brown
See Dr.Edsall answer - follow the post surgical recommendation and call your doctor - after surgery you doctor will advice you. It is tough to get rid of infection and could be dangerous
Dr. Leslie Garson
Anesthesiology
In brief: Remove it
First and foremost-don't worry! simply pull the catheter out and place a bandage over the exit site.
The downside is that you'll lose some hours of pain relief as you will no longer have local anesthetic infusing. But, this is preferable to you trying to reconnect the infusion pump to the catheter. Good luck with your recovery.

In brief: Remove it
Dr. Leslie Garson
Dr. Leslie Garson
2 comments
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Thank Dr.Garson - it helps me to know if I have similar issue with a patient how to help - I appreciate your reply
Dr. Scott Roethle
Anesthesiology
In brief: Reconnect it
If the tubing is disconnected, just reconnect it.
If the catheter is dislodged or coming out, you might as well remove it completely. You should still have some pain relief now, but it may wear off if the catheter moved at all. Reconnect it and you may be able to continue as previously directed. You may need to start oral pain medicine if you have pain. Feel free to call your physician.

In brief: Reconnect it
Dr. Scott Roethle
Dr. Scott Roethle
3 comments
Dr. David Edsall
No no this is not right. if dirt got in the catheter you will introduce it into the groin. This is lethal if it is an epidural but a groin infection by the nerve is not nice. You must call your physician now.
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: Call doctor
Lijely you will be told to clean the connection with alcohol and reconnect.
Still i would suggest paging the on call doctor to discuss what happened.

In brief: Call doctor
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology
In brief: Call anesthesiologis
You should have been provided with a contact number for the anesthesia service.
In the hospital I have carefully disinfected the catheter, trimmed the end and reconnected it. However, not all catheters will allow this. Your anesthesiologist will give you instructions on cleaning or removing it based on their expertise and your specific needs.

In brief: Call anesthesiologis
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin