I sprained my left ankle playing basketball a month ago and it does not hurt anymore but is still swollen. Can I start playing basketball again?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Gradual

The thought process in recovery from an ankle sprain should be gradual and step wise.
In other words, you want to be walking well without limp before you jog, jogging well before you run, running well before you cut back and forth, and then doing well with that before you return to full play. Recovery can be quick or lengthy, but should be step wise.

In brief: Gradual

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Steven Brown
Surgery - Hand Surgery

typically 4 to 6 weeks recovery however should return with appropriate ankle taping to help support the ankle.
Anticipate up to 4 months of reactive swelling. If this was a high ankle sprain need to wait more in the neighborhood of 8 to 12 weeks to return.

Dr. Steven Brown
Dr. Steven Brown
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine