Is scaling of the scalp a sign of infection?

Dr. Nanette Nuessle
I was originally taught that this was a dry skin condition.
I have seen many treatments come and go. The current theory is that this is a fungal infection. It frequently gets better when treated with a mild antifungal cream, such as lotriminaf. Talk with your provider about how often and for how long.

Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Lisa Roberts
In brief: No
Your baby may have a common benign newborn condition called "cradle cap".
It is a kind of baby dandruff caused by overactive oily glands on the scalp. Try applying a small amount of baby oil or olive oil to the scalp, then using a soft baby brush to gently remove the flakes, and then wash your baby's hair. If that does not do the trick, contact your doctor as there are alternative treatments.

In brief: No
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts