My son has a sinus venous asd is it something that has to have heart surgery or its only in some cases not every cases?

Surgery only. Sinus venosus ASD will not close on its own. The lung drainage is involved in the ASD and this requires a baffle inside the heart. Sometimes a "warden operation" is performed. The long term outcome is excellent and the recovery is 2 days to 1 week in hospital then 1-2 weeks at home. Cedar sinai, ucla, usc all have excellent children heart surgery. Life long follow up is recommended.
Most of the time. It actually depends on the size of the defect and left to right shunt, and whethere there are signs of right heart volume overload (enlargement of the right atrium and right ventricle). Usually this type of defect is associated with partially anomalous pulmonary venous return which is also corrected at time of surgery. Check with your peds card. Who should be able to give you the above details.
Sinus Venosus ASD. If the ASD is large enough to cause enlargement of the right heart (right atrium and right ventricle) it should be closed. This type of ASD cannot be closed with a device, and therefore surgery would be necessary. The surgery is quite safe and completely effective in the hands of a very skilled surgeon. They must take care with the right upper pulmonary vein, as this is usually implicated.
Likely Yes. Sinus venosus defects cannot be treated in the cath lab. Most are large enough that they cause significant problems with blood flow and therefore require surgery. This is not always the case though, so please discuss the options with the cardiologist.