Thirty four yr old female with polycystic kidney disease. I was told I'm a teeny tiny bit anemic, but I'm always hot, dosage of iron should I take?

Pathology

In brief: Anemia's serious

"A teeny tiny bit anemic" is like being "a little bit pregnant.
" Anemia is always serious and the cause needs to be found. If it's iron deficiency, and it's due to your monthly loss, take the dose of iron that you can tolerate. I'm more concerned that your kidneys are starting to fail and this is the actual cause of your anemia; iron would not help. Your physician must explain the actual cause.

In brief: Anemia's serious

Thanks for the follow-up. In polycystic kidney disease, hypertension and (less often) anemia may precede abnormalities on the routine kidney function tests (BUN, creatinine). I'm glad you're being monitored.
Pathology

In brief: 120 mg/day

Over the counter iron or multivitamin with iron, containing 60-120 mg would be sufficient.
You may consult this site for more information in this topic. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Anemia/hic_oral_iron_supplementation For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Drink enough water daily so that your urine is mostly colorless. Practice safe sex.

In brief: 120 mg/day

Dr. Shontae Buffington