I am 6 months postpartum and still exclusively breastfeeding. My hair is excessively falling out in chunks and it is bothersome to me. I've been told it is because of hormonal changes and bf. What can I do or take (i.e. Vitamins) to alleviate?

In brief: It should pass

Hair growth has stages like a farmers crops.
We usually have some hair starting a growth phase as a similar number hit their shed phase.Delivery has pushed much of your scalp to enter a shed phase at the same time.It happens with other stressors sometime too.I can't buy blaming Breast feeding. It is not a deficiency and supplements won't help. Most will see their scalp return to normal over time.

In brief: It should pass

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Postpartum hair loss

Thus is called telogen effluvium. It is a common issue after having a baby.
A higher percent of hair shifts into the shedding phase after delivery. It is annoying but not dangerous and resolves after about 6 months. Consider getting your thyroid checked as a precaution.

In brief: Postpartum hair loss

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Adam Levy