Catch 22. Got lots of nasal drip from a cold but every time I blow my nose (even softly) a nostril scab tears& my nose bleeds. To blow or not to blow?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: Lubricate

Use a dab of vaseline or Aquaphor or KY jelly twice a day inside your nose.
You can use Afrin [the generic oxymetazoline is same] for a few days, not more than a few. You can also snuff some water [usually salted water] up your nose and suck it in to clear out mucous.

In brief: Lubricate

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. Stephen Pool
Emergency Medicine

In brief: This blows

Stop blowing and let your nose heal.
When it stops bleeding then you can go back to trying gently blowing it. Consider an over the counter medicine like Sudafed to help with the stuffy nose in the meantime.

In brief: This blows

Stop blowing and let your nose heal.
Dr. Stephen Pool
Dr. Stephen Pool