I get really bad pain in my heels after running seen my doctor and sent me to a physio but no joy. I play rugby and it affects me badly?

Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Pain Management

In brief: Pain Assessment.

If you have been assessed by a primary care provider and have not had benefit from physiotherapy, you should be evaluated by a specialist such as a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist or an orthopedic surgeon.

In brief: Pain Assessment.

Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Dr. Ario Kiarash
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Tight achilles

Most common cause of heel pain in an active adult is achilles tendon contracture(gastrocnemeus to be exact).
Treatment is daily runners stretches for 10 minutes each time 3 times a day, in addition to before and after exercise, like your rugby games! expect to get worse the first week or so before you improve. Taking an anti inflammatory will be helpful during this period.

In brief: Tight achilles

Dr. Ario Kiarash
Dr. Ario Kiarash
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine