I had an ultra sound today and was told I have an hernia in the abdomen, right side low near groin. Is surgery usually necessary to repair? I

Dr. Peter Lydon
Surgery

In brief: Possibly

Small, asymptomatic inguinal hernias in men can be safely watched.
Repair only needs to be done if it is causing a problem. There are many excellent surgical options once the hernia needs repair including an endoscopic repair that avoids cutting any muscle in the groin.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Peter Lydon
Dr. Peter Lydon
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Maybe

Although most inguinal (groin) hernias get repaired - and hernia repair is one of the most common operations in the US - there are numerous medical studies that show that many hernias can be watched closely and repaired only if symptoms require it.
Talk with your doctor - if you are having symptoms or your work and/or activities are limited by the hernia, you should probably have it fixed.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery