Is it normal to bleed when you are 5 weeks pregnant?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Report any bleeding

If a woman has had a positive pregnancy test and begins to bleed, there is concern about threatened miscarriage.
A visit to an obgyn for evaluation and at some point an ultrasound can provide additional information. Even if the pregnancy progresses, there is an increased risk of bleeding again. See my guides to bleeding in pregnancy for more.

In brief: Report any bleeding

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Here are my two guides: Uterine BLEEDING, "Vaginal" bleeding during pregnancy What happens if I BLEED while pregnant?
Brittany Chan

In brief: Needs evaluation

There could be many different causes of the bleeding at this point, including infection, trauma, ectopic pregnancy (in which the baby grows somewhere other than the inner wall of the uterus), or even a miscarriage.
Any vaginal bleeding during pregnancy should be evaluated by your ob.

In brief: Needs evaluation

Brittany Chan
Brittany Chan
Answer assisted by Brittany Chan, Medical Student
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: No

During pregnancy never occurs vaginal spotting or bleeding.
Women cannot have a menstrual period and being pregnant at the same time. If this happens it means that there is a problem like threatening abortion that requires pt to be on rest and get evaluated by an obstetrician, .

In brief: No

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez