I am a tall heavy weight female that has been diagnosed with pcos. I have major hormon issues.Hard time losing weight irreg periods. What medication?

Dr. Scott Mitchell
Bariatrics
In brief: PCOS
Pcos, or polycystic ovarian disease is a fairly common condition that sometimes takes quite some time before it is properly diagnosed.
One of the more common medications that is used to treat this condition is glucophage, (metformin) a medication that is most commonly used to treat diabetes. Regular exercise, a healthy diet, not smoking, and weight control are all important parts of treatment for pcos.

In brief: PCOS
Dr. Scott Mitchell
Dr. Scott Mitchell
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Metformin
Metformin is the first line treatment for pcos.
It often causes loss of appetite as a side effect and can therefore help with weight loss. Because of the way it works it is also useful to help regulate periods.

In brief: Metformin
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: PCOS
Treatment for pcos is weight loss.
It's important to look at your drug profile and make sure you are not on drugs that are causing weight gain. I'm sure you are already on a sensible diet/exercise routine. If not, please start one. Other drugs for pcos: birth control pills (hormomes), spironolactone, metformin, actos, (pioglitazone) vaniqa, weight loss agents, infertility drugs...

In brief: PCOS
Treatment for pcos is weight loss.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Frank Yelian
In brief: Metfomin and Clomid (clomiphene)
Metformin may increase your Insulin sensitivity and help you reduce the chance to become diabetic.
It has been show to be effective to loss weight in some patients with pcos. Clomid (clomiphene) will help you ovulating, and it may help regulating your period. One more medication may also help you is called femara, it may also help you ovulating.

Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Adam Levy